Episode 13: Katie Martin: Education Leader, Teacher, Author, Blogger, Education Consultant, and Public Speaker!
Our guest for episode 13 is Katie Martin!
Dr. Katie Martin is the Head of Partnerships- West at AltSchool where they have been building a technology-enabled network to empower and connect families, students, and teachers. Over the last 5 years she has worked in diverse contexts to learn, research, and support deeper learning that leverages technology to ensure maximum impact on learners and their trajectory in life. She has also served as middle school English language arts teacher, instructional coach, and led the district new teacher mentoring program. Katie has a Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s Degree in middle school education and her Ph.D and specialized in new teacher induction and ongoing support to impact teacher efficacy and effectiveness.
At the university, district, and school level Katie aspires to create experiences that empower all learners to develop knowledge, skills, and mindsets to thrive in a changing world. As a mom, she wants her kids to have learning experiences in school that build on their strengths and interests and as an educator; she is passionate about making sure we do the same for all kids. Katie’s experience in research and practice continue to guide her belief that if we want to change how students learn, we must change how educators learn.
In this episode we discuss:
- TED Talk — “Teachers Create What They Experience”
- How to change and open the eyes of educational leaders, systems, and programs in order to change how their students are learning?
- Her NEW book! Learner-Centered Innovation: Spark Curiosity, Ignite Passion, and Unleash Genius
- What steps should teachers and ed leaders take to design a culture for learning and innovation?
- How do we address those already in education that need to “unlearn” before they can grow.
- What can we do to change how our educators learn so that our students can be the beneficiary?
- Sharing is one of the BEST ways to learn, we discuss best practices, ways to share, and where Katie goes to learn about innovation in education.
- Her Perspective on Education
Please share and comment! Would love to get feedback and suggestions. If you are interested in sharing your story, please reach out to us!